Sunday, May 15, 2005

More on Raising and Begging

Maverick Philosopher has posted an excellent example of a "common usage" of language that we should not accept: the figurative bashing of the word "literally". Just as we shouldn't allow "literally" to come to be an intensifier, we shouldn't allow "begging the question" to come to mean "raising the question" because it takes away our ability to convey a certain something with the former expression.

Then he goes on to give a simple refutation of materialism. Speaking of which, there's a little "quiz" going around that tells me I'm a materialist. (I am not a materialist.)

My favorite statement with which to agree or disagree was, "Our modern society has been plagued by an absence of emotion." If anything, "our modern society" is hyper-emotional, in my opinion.

No comments: