Friday, July 01, 2005

It's My Party & I'll Cry If I Want To

You would cry too, if you were the ugly girl that nobody let go down on them, or the boy with the small penis that ended up with no colored stripes.

But seriously. When I first heard about the book, Rainbow Party, I knew that a "rainbow party" or two may have happened in the history of the world, but that they were pretty unlikely to be widespread. I also imagined that the author, no matter how much he had convinced himself that he was educating children about "the dangers of oral sex" (really, let's get the dangers of teen pregnancy, HIV, and vaginal/penile diseases down first), that he knew in his heart-of-hearts that he was really creating a publicity generating machine. He got a two page article in the New York Times about his book, so the machine apparantly works.

This passage sums up what is going on: ""This 'phenomenon' has all the classic hallmarks of a moral panic," said Dr. Deborah Tolman, director of the Center for Research on Gender and Sexuality at San Francisco State University. "One day we have never heard of rainbow parties and then suddenly they are everywhere, feeding on adults' fears that morally bankrupt sexuality among younger teens is rampant, despite any actual evidence, as well as evidence to the contrary.""

2 comments:

Rob Helpy-Chalk said...

I think I speak for everyone in my generation when I say:

"Goddammit, why didn't they have these parties when I was a teenager?"

Oh, wait...they don't really have them now? Good. As long as no one is having more fun than I'm having.

Anne Arkham said...

I agree with you 100%, Stroll.