Thursday, January 12, 2006

Survival of the Quickest

I would never make a good Muslim for one reason. Okay, thousands of reasons. But one of those reasons is that I am so fucking claustrophobic, and during the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, hundreds of people are routinely stomped to death in stampedes. Mama ain't goin' out like that.

Look for Pat Robertson to chime in here.

My university is close to the Macy's flagship on 34th Street, the Empire State Building, Penn Station, and countless other tourist draws. Between the hours that I used to arrive there (4:00 and 6:00) there was absolute chaos on the streets, throngs of people moving in and out of the streets and sidewalks, herds of humanity running for trains or busses, and lost hordes of tourists looking up completely oblivious to the fact that people are everywhere and trying to move. I've often thought to myself as I try to manuever through that mess to 36th street (a less populated route), "What would happen if there was a gun shot, for example, and everyone tried to flee the area?" I'm sure the answer to that question is: several people stomped to death.

No comments: