Sunday, February 19, 2006

Question: Who needs a live chicken in New York City? Answer:

This blog is known for posing the really hard questions that people struggle with in their day to day lives. For example, Who the hell needs a live chicken in New York City? Well, I have received an answer.

Jeremy writes:


Well, I'll tell ya: people who want really fresh chickens, or people
who want to know that chickens are being killed by Halal chicken-killers. I just went to Pollo Vivo, or Astoria Live Poultry for the first time. I won't know if it's any good until tonight, since the chicken is still marinating, but I will tell you this: the birds looked healthy, clean and well maintained before the ... er... AWWWWK! SLIT! SPLAT! that was to follow. And they don't only have chickens; they have quail, duck and guinea fowl. And the place is something of a misnomer. They don't sell you the live chicken, or rather, they do, but you don't take home the live chicken. They weigh it (feathers, head, feet included) and then they kill it and butcher it (cutting it to order) and then you take home the meat.

"Recently Dead Chicken" doesn't really have the zing to it that Pollo Vivo has.

I'm making stock with the back, neck and feet. And let me tell you, I've never had a richer SMELLING stock, at least.


I reckon there is something to be said for live (or "recently dead") chicken, then. Walking in and developing a relationship with one, then having its head chopped off, its feathers plucked, and its guts removed does guarantee a bit more freshness than, say, picking out a rotting pile of gizzards wrapped in celophane with holes poked in it with a questionable expiration date from the shelves of Trade Fair. Viva el pollo!

2 comments:

anne arkham said...

There are places in Chicago that'll do that for you. I've never been, but now I'm thinking about it. I pride myself on good soup stock. . .it might be worth a try.

How does Meow Kitty feel about recently dead poultry?

Stroll said...

Meow Kitty has a bloodlust so she's all about it. However she only has one tooth so she can only eat her chicken sliced and diced and from a can.