Friday, February 23, 2007

I realize it was a few days ago but I'm telling the story now anyway

Every Ash Wednesday, I giggle a little bit. All these foo's running around with dookie smears on their forheads that are supposed to be in the shape of a cross just trips me out.

In the South, we don't have a lot of Catholics. So when I first moved to New York, I had no idea that on Ash Wednesday people have ash rubbed onto their forheads. When my first New York Ash Wednesday rolled around, I made a mistake that is apparantly pretty common among the unitiated. I told someone they had some crap on their face--in the spirit of telling someone they have a booger. Sure, they'd be embarrassed, but they'd want to know. Their bafflement became obvious and it took me the rest of the day to figure it out.

1 comment:

K. said...

Yeah, but now it's a Lutheran thing, too. I grew up Catholic (and am no longer), and the Lutheran kids in town would pick on the Catholic kids. It was a small German/Catholic town. They didn't have a lot to go on to pick on people with.

Anyway, now that I'm moved out to Lutheran-land, they got into it to. There are a lot more people who go to get that little smudge.

What I remember from being a kid was getting the ashes and getting a detention from the nuns if we brushed it off (I had to sit in from many a recess because of it. Hey, it itched!).