Monday, March 12, 2007

A Gaping Hole in the Hearts of Chelsea

Well, Ye Olde Roxy has closed. The article in the NY Times is irritating for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the description of the average Roxy party-goer (which is admittedly probably accurate), nor the rating system based on looks for entrants. One through four? But I’m a ten, baby.

Anyway, I have to admit I had fun the few times I ever went to Roxy, and I know that as a young gay man from a small, rural town, coming to NY and going to the Roxy is indeed a "right of passage" as stated in the article. But it was also an experience that I will never forget, as Kevondrala once described it to me: The first time you experience a "megaclub" like the Roxy, coming from your little backwoods homestead, you don’t think "there are this many gay people in New York City?", but rather you think, "There are this many gay people in the world?"

No comments: