Thursday, May 24, 2007

It's a Jungle Out There

The movie Summer of Sam implies that the incessently barking dog in David Berkowitz's backyard helped drive him to the insanity of serial killing. Well the incessently barking dog in my own "backyard" is driving me to just want to kill the damn dog. And possibly its owner. As a country boy who cherishes the 2nd Ammendment, I am beginning to understand why guns are not allowed in NYC. The temptation to use them is JUST TOO GREAT.

My apartment is on the back side of the building, so through the bedroom window we have a view of a little courtyard/parking area and the back side of other apartment buildings. Somewhere in there is that fucking dog, that I have never seen. (There are also cats that sound like screaming human beings when they fight and/or go into heat.) Last night it would seriously not shut up, but I was kind of sleeping through it, dreaming about the barking more than really hearing it, when suddenly I am jolted from sleep by a Spanish-accented yell from God-knows-where, but it felt like it was in the room with me: "SHUT UP YOUR STUPID DOG! STUUUUUPIIIID!" It of course didn't work, made the dog bark louder and caused other dogs to chime in, but whoever she is and whichever apartment she lives in, I love that woman.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Sounds like you live very close by. Or is every apartment building in Queens like that?

Stroll said...

Sadly, I think the problem might be widespread, but I think its epicenter is the 21st Street/30th Avenue area. ;)

Christine said...

Yeah, that's half a block away. You ever shop at the 99 cent store on 30th Ave and 21st? I love that place. You could furnish your apartment, dress yourself and feed a large dinner party just on the crazy stuff they sell there.

Although, stay away from the frozen scrambled eggs...

Stroll said...

I love that store! It used to be a C-Town grocery store. And yes, I do avoid any food there that is not canned or vaccum sealed.