Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Fashion is not a luxury"

The title of this post is taken from a t-shirt that I have seen around the City now no less that 14,000 times. I have yet to figure out which Delilahs, Strawberry, or 5-7-9 type store it comes from. Upon seeing it, however, it immediately sends me into a blood boiling rage. First and foremost, because it is perhaps the stupidest thing I have read in quite some time. And working for The World Church of Assimilation, I read a lot of stupid shit.

Aside from being stupid and ridiculously untrue, what gets my goat is the spirit in which it is worn. Every young woman I have seen wearing this shirt is dressed in the shirt (obviously), tight low cut jeans, and flip flops with their hair pulled into a pony tail. So, in essence these women are wearing a stupid shirt that is supposed to state their dedication and lust for fashion to all who pass by them, yet they are wearing a tabby t-shirt, ratty jeans, and flip flops. If fashion is not a luxury, then honey you are in dire need of some.

It's kind of like when you see someone in the high-end label sunglasses, hat, belt, t-shirt and necklace. That doesn't say you are committed to the brand. It just says you can only afford the accessories.

2 comments:

Christine said...

It's from the new Sarah Jessica Parker line of clothes. They all cost ten dollars or less, I think.

Yeah, it's stupid.

S.D.A. said...

I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly. I love these supposed fashionistas who run out to pick up the latest tabby "it" item just to prove that they're so beyond fashion that they choose to look like shit. Sarah Jessica should have saved her energies for the Sex and The City movie! Right up there with her tabby clothes is the "This is Not A Plastic Bag" canvas bags that all the starlets in Whole Foods are sporting. I saw one in our neighborhood, and threw up a little bit in my mouth.