Tuesday, July 03, 2007

It has to sparkle, it has to shine



On Saturday night I went with S.D.A. to a party in Forest Hills, whereupon he was locked in the bathroom for a bit. This became a cause for grave concern, and there was talk of “calling the fire department” and “kicking the door in,” but eventually a screwdriver was produced and the door knob was removed. People were taking pictures. S.D. emerged, and said “I felt like Baby Jessica in the well!” Indeed, the episode had all the makings of a Lifetime movie.

The whole thing made me need a drink (okay, I was in fact drinking the whole time) so I turned up the sangria and after a little chit chat and mingling, and strolling to the pizza parlor with plastic cup in hand, I took it to Jackson Heights where in my usual fog of bravado and recklessness I spoke broken, southern-drawl Spanish and left a trail of destruction. I met this guy who is maybe the cutest one I have ever seen. He came to me and we were instant friends although I have no idea what his name is despite the fact that he kept telling it to me and saying “like from Egypt”. It didn’t sound Egyptian to me.

Well as is usually the case when I find my one true love, he shortly thereafter introduced me to his boyfriend which makes me want to cry. It reminds me of this moment. The boyfriend in fact took my number and after threatening to kidnap the one with the Egyptian name I decided it would be best if I took my drunk ass home. So that’s what I did.

Lito was in town and before he went home to attend a funeral of one of his aunts, he swung by to pick up some of his remaining items and we tooled around town in a little beat up pick-up truck which was very fun.

My job is time consuming and increasingly difficult and I have no idea what the hell I’m doing. I have faked it up to this point…? I just know that I’m supposed to be doing something with my life, but this is not it. Of all the people in the world, much less in my family, to end up working for a Christian organization’s substance abuse program, it is very confusing how it turned out to be me.

Saturday I’m going to Greensboro and won’t be back for…a while.

1 comment:

Scatty D. (S.D.A.) said...

I'm actually selling my story to the Oxygen network, and am meeting personally with Oprah this Friday. Expect a lot of tears.