Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's 6:30 in the morning here.

After touring through Seattle with the work group and the area Head Person In Charge, I retract my previous statement about Seattle (that I would slit my wrists if I lived here). It's really a beautiful city, and many times the layer of fog (called a marine layer or something or other) burns off by the middle of the day. It's been pleasatly cool and sunny. In fact, the state of Washington is absolutely gorgeous. I also had dinner at this private club on he 76th floor of the tallest building west of the Mississippi and it was the fanciest thing I've done in a while. I am but an humble servant of the church, but also a high roller.

I have been going 9 hour stretches without smoking, not because I want to, but because I can't smoke in front of work people, being this is a substance abuse program and all. Also the long flights and the long layovers in smokeless airports are brutal. At the end of yesterday I was desperate for a cigarette.

There was some kind of secret meeting last night between my boss and a few of the other people -- people who she warned me early on are "up to something". I texted her to say I was being nosey, and this morning she replied to say she tried to call but I didn't answer and she was going to bed. That was at 1:13 AM. I was in bed before 9:00. Jet lag is a killa.

Today we meet until 12:30 or so. I arranged for a late check out and bag-stowing at the front desk because my flight is not until 9:50 PM. This will give me time to explore some of Seattle -- downtown and beyond -- on my own, without a group of church executives in tow. On my way here through the Kansas meeting, I kept going back in time. Well, now it will be back to the future, as time zones and layovers will conspire to mark my arrival in NY at approximately 9:00 AM on Friday. I don't know if I'm coming or going. Hopefully I can sleep on the plane, but I'm sure some idiot in front of me will recline their seat in already tight space for my tall ass and I'll be crushed to death, but unable to snooze.

1 comment:

bitchphd said...

Glad you've come round about Seattle. Summers there are beautiful.