Friday, March 14, 2008

Number Two: Too Much Information

I am in fact obsessed with my own digestion and take measures to ensure that the process goes smoothly. Unfogged linked an article about this very topic.

"When I do an initial assessment of someone's overall health, I really focus on their digestion and I often find myself getting down to the nitty-gritty when it comes to bowel movements," she says. Seemingly unrelated health problems, including skin rashes, allergy symptoms and hormonal imbalances, can have their root in the gut, an assertion that's supported by recent mainstream biomedical research. "Over and over again, I find that by fine-tuning someone's digestion, other health issues can improve dramatically," Miller says.


Indeed! But the article is not so keen on high colonics and other foofoo "detox" health trends.

"Parents are trying to control their children, corporations are trying to control workers, and on an individual level, we're trying to control our bodies, including our poop: when we poop, how often we poop and what we poop, including the right size, consistency and color." As with all fads that strive toward the perfect body -- be it the face, the pecs or the wardrobe -- Lipkins says we're missing something essential.


I do try to control my poop fwiw. I usually shoot for 3 or 4 in the chart below.

1 comment:

MT said...

That's got to be the best excuse for a number code ever. Or since "number one" and "number two." Jeez...I wonder if that ever causes confusion in the path lab. Anyway, gas is where it's at. Poop is so yesterday's dinner.