Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The End of the World as We Know It

People laugh at me when I state my views about the future of the world, but I'm going to state them anyway.

Basically, shit is going down and most of us are unaware. "Civilization" and "society" are thin wrapping papers over a natural state of affairs that is savage, hostile, and dangerous. As has been seen in many countries around the world, when socio-economic collapse happens, people get brutal. It is the hallmark of hubris in this country that no one really believes this cold happen to us.

Fuel prices are the highest they have ever been. Read up on so called "peak oil". Food safety is repeatedly in the news. New bacteria and viruses are constantly emerging and making their way from "rare" to "common". Water is becoming a resource, much like oil, that wars are being fought for. Infrastructures are getting old and further neglected. Dependence on governments – our own and foreign ones – is at an historic high. Dependence on technology is the norm. Populations are growing and space is shrinking. There is a crisis of home forclosures that is causing a rise in the cost to rent. Maybe you have read that there has been food rationing at warehouse stores as of late. This country has not seen "food rationing" since World War II. People shopping are all pissed off about it without thinking about what it means.

When there is a collapse of government, economy, production, and fuel-based infrastructure, the good people of the world will largely become predatory – hunger, cold, fear and panic will turn most of us into animals. Hungry, scared animals that will do what we have to to eat.

The few people who know how to do some simple, old-timey things, are going to be the people that will survive. Those are things like grow food, use guns, build structures, and live 1800's style. I'm admittedly probably one of the first who will go down because I wasn't paying attention when I was popping off rifles with my Grandpa, and wasn't watching my brother skin deer and fish all these years. All the money in the world won't buy you a grain of rice when it's worthless. And you can't eat money, or gold and silver for that matter. It's time to learn some skills.


I know I sound like a crazy person but I needed to get that off my chest. So on that pleasant note, have a great day! I'm back in NY, done with Texas for the time being. More later, was in airports all day now suffering through the lack of peace and quiet due to a shitty roommate situation.

No comments: