Thursday, July 23, 2009

Money as Debt

I was reading this article about Daniel Suelo, a dude who has lived for 10 years without money. Not your typical "homeless". He lives in a cave (with mice and kissing bugs), and has a real spiritual, metaphysical take on the whole thing. A big part of me admires him. I have a fascination with people who turn to a kind of hermitage and succeed at it. A bigger part of me thinks he's just a little bit nuts and quite the extremist. Mice crawling over me in my sleep would send me back to civilization post haste. I think there is something to be said for having a civilized world, with money facilitating our ability to progress...i.e., have shelter and technology and rodent killing poison. Then again, he's not worried about unemployment figures or stock market collapses or doing enough between 9 and 5...so maybe mice crawling on him in his sleep isn't the worst thing in the world. And it's not like mice can't infilatrate a house anyway, don't I know...but that's another post for another day.

Ironically, he has a blog. It's "free" for him to have a blog and a website insofar as they are povided by Google at no cost to him...so I don't know if it's breaking any of his rules about "money or conscious barter".

On his website, he links to the below YouTube videos by Paul Grignon, which were made before the current "financial crisis" was front page news everyday. These videos are very informative. A little frightening to boot. The bottom line is, banks just create money out of thin air more or less. I encourage you to watch all five (a total of 45 minutes).









No comments: