Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No Title.

I hear today they were laying people off at work.

I have, of course, already taken the "voluntary separation" package, along with a co-worker here in Charlotte.

The other day during the department meeting the big boss just dropped the bomb on everybody, totally surprising me, because I thought the plan was at least for me to say it.

I think that it was minimally shocking to the staff, but there was nary a peep when she said it. My co-worker and co-quitter was out sick. The big boss asked me if I had anything to add. I said, not really, and then gave a standard schpiel about missing everyone and bla bla bla. The whole thing was kind of anti-climactic. I had hoped to go out with more of a bang.

Then today I hear through the grapevine they're laying off the secretaries. The four that have been there the least long, the longest of which was about five years.

I had planned to write this heartfelt departure email, meant to tug at their heartstrings and give them a little hope in these troubled times at the agency. Now in light of these layoffs, I don't know that I will.

I hardly even talked to the Big Big Boss about it, and it was an awkward little chat. But she's got a lot on her mind too, my reconnaissance shows.Meanwhile everything is changing and the organization, and the management of clergy and big wigs has no idea what they're doing or how the place actually gets run.

I'll be so glad to get out of there! However I am so nervous about the job market. I talked to this woman today at a fancy resume referral place (basically a glorified temp agency) and she asked if I was still working for "the Church" in "New York". I explained that I now work for the Church in Charlotte, and that I live in Charlotte. It made me reconsider my resume: maybe de-emphasize "Church" and "NYC" so I'm not disregarded as some damn evangelical yankee coming down here stealing jobs.

She said keep in touch about the job I was calling about, but they already have sent them some resumes. I asked if she might keep me on file for future positions and she said she would. She sounded like a major bitch.

2 comments:

Tina-cious.com said...

Oh wow... good luck w/ all that!

Oh and I HATE employment agencies with a FIERCE passion. Ugh, don't get me started.

Jim Goins said...

Try Job.com

I got my current job from them - lots of available jobs on site.