Sunday, October 11, 2009

These Times

Friday after work I went out with some of my co-workers and had a few (too many) drinks and chatted about the job and our co-workers. It was a good time. Everyone was invited but only some could come. I insisted on the “everyone is invited” policy. There are two people who work there who are annoying as all hell and quit dumb as illustrated by their participation in the training (and frankly they probably won’t last very long), but I came to their defense. Annoying, but nice people. And I know what it does not feel nice to be excluded for any reason.
Monday is the day we go “live”, after our training. It should be easy enough.

I am the oldest of the group of us who are tight, most of them being in their mid twenties. For them, this is a really good job. If you’re young and starting out, looking to move up in an organization, it could be ideal. Or even if you are married with kids and have your family as your focus rather than your career (and an additional income to help) it can be ideal. But me? I would never think of myself as “above” any kind of job. But I have to admit that coming from a place where I had ten years of experience and was relatively important by the end of the show, starting back at this level is kind of embarrassing. I haven’t mentioned much to my co-workers about what I used to do and of course not about how this hourly wage that they all seem to think I so high is frighteningly low to me and the budget I’m used to.

I miss my travels, and being successful at my job, but honestly I am glad I got out of there. It was time. I left with the pride of knowing that some of the higher ups implied that they weren’t really expecting me to take the package. I was burned out on the religious aspect and the subject matter and just the politics of the global organization. I took the opportunity to quit when it arose with an attached payout, expecting that I would get on top of my game and come out of there with something important to do.

Now I work in a call center.

I have all these great ideas, I love to read, and I have a decent grasp on the English language, which are the makings of someone who might be a successful writer. But I’m missing one thing. Today on NPR there was this author talking about his success and how you have to have talent, you have to have luck, but most importantly you have to have one thing that you can control – discipline. Discipline has never been my strong point. I don’t see the bestseller springing forth from my fingers saving me from corporate hourly wage drudgery any time soon. So in the meantime it looks like a lot of “thank you for calling”.

No comments: